Saturday, October 4, 2008

Milk Chocolate Raspberry Muffins


Mouthwatering Muffins With a Sweet Kiss of Raspberry and Milk Chocolate.

Hello everyone! This is my very first venture into food blogging (well, blogging in general) and I am so excited to get started making delicious creations and sharing my recipes! Being a first year law school student is very challenging and time consuming but baking gives a release and joy like no other. Because, as many who enjoy cooking know, there is nothing like having someone bite into something you made from scratch and saying, "yuum, this is good!" So, this blog is a way of finding my happy place amidst the chaos of law school and hopefully, inspiring others to get into the kitchen and start whipping up their own dreamy desserts!

These muffins came a day after a successful batch of blueberry muffins (more on those soon). I was inspired by my love of chocolate and the little voice inside that reminds me (though I don't always listen) to eat more fruit. Now don't get my wrong, I am 100% a dark chocolate girl. Trust me, I need to eat a piece of high quality 60-80% cocoa dark chocolate every day. However, these milk chocolate chips are so outrageously creamy that they make the perfect breakfast chocolate (uh-huh, I said it) to go with the slightly tart but sweet raspberries. This recipe resulted in a muffin with a pretty fine and moist crumb. The oats give a nice texture contrast to the milk chocolate (and offset the unhealthiness of those sweet melty morsels) and the raspberry, though detectable, slightly flavors each bite with berry goodness. They are quick and simple to make. Try them for breakfast and you'll be so glad that you did!

Milk Chocolate Raspberry Oat Muffins
Makes 12

1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup raspberry yogurt
1 large egg
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup raspberries, fresh or frozen 

Preheat oven to 400F and prepare muffin tins.
Stir the egg, sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Combine oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Dump the dry ingredients over the wet and stir the batter until just combined. 
Fold in berries and chocolate chips carefully without over mixing.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins and place in oven. Bake until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 18 minutes, rotating once half way through baking.
Enjoy with a tall, cold glass of milk!

8 comments:

Alejandra Ramos said...

Hi there! Just wanted to welcome you to blogworld and to let you know that these sound fantastic! I love chocolate + raspberry so I can imagine these are great. Fantastic first recipe and look forward to reading more. Take care!

J Kelly said...

I love your site name!!! But most of all.. I just ate these muffins and they were fantastic!! Thanks for the recipe.

ChazFrench said...

I'm drooling and I don't do milk chocolate.

I'm going to have to try these, but with semi-sweet at a minimum.

Welcome to the world of food blogging, it's great fun to share your creations and point others to things you find.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! And congrats on the blog! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks really similar to http://underthehighchair.blogspot.com/2008/08/chocolate-raspberry-oat-muffins.html

Is this a coincidence?

Amanda said...

hey there: i found your blog on tastespotting. looking forward to more sweet eats on this blog!

Lydia said...

Thanks Alejandra, j kelly, chazfrench, mysweetday and amanda for your encouraging comments! I really appreciate it!

Maychild, when I was researching on the internet the proper way of writing a recipe, I came across the one you provide a link to and used hers as a model for how to write up a recipe. But, my ingredient list and my procedure differ from the muffins listed on that site. I hope that clears up any confusion you might have there. If you're interested in making some delicious muffins, I'm sure either recipe would work great!

Anonymous said...

Okay :)

Counter